In 2016 the Commission released a report containing a set of recommendations to successfully tackle childhood and adolescent obesity in different contexts around the world.
The main recommendations contained in the report are:
- Promote intake of healthy foods
- Promote physical activity
- Preconception and pregnancy care
- Early childhood diet and physical activity
- Health, nutrition and physical activity for school-age children
- Weight management.
The Commission also provided an implementation plan describing the actions needed in Member States to implement the recommendations in the report. The implementation plan provides a summary of the recommended interventions which can be taken by policy makers to stop the rise in childhood obesity.
The OPC provided submissions in relation to the Commission’s: